About Me

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Fashion Stylist/Coach,Kingsway Mall Style Council Member, Mrs Canada 2006, Hairstylist and Makeup artist to the best clients, Mother of 2, and Wife to the #1 husband in the world!

Monday 11 April 2011

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up...

It's an amazing anomaly that the closer to 40 you get, the younger it appears. Not unlike the apparition of water on the hi-way that appears on a hot day as you drive. It alarms you and you think a terrible thing is coming, but once you get there, you realize it's not bad at all! Now, granted 40 is a few more years away for me, but not many, and as the people around me (Happy Birthday Dan!) reach the top of the hill, it looks to me like the view is pretty good from up there!

So as I think about the years beyond the top of the hill, I begin to wonder, "What will I be like, all grown up?". Will it be time to put away my skinny jeans? Does that mean I can count on one hand the years I have left to wear stilettos? Will the time soon come for me to embrace pleated slacks with runners?

I don't think so. 

No, to me the years beyond 40 are the golden years of fashion. The years when you finally come into your own style, you have the confidence to pull off the look you've spent years defining, and can carry a classy style without looking like you've borrowed your mom's blazer.



The 40+ girls I know and admire do not give up on wearing long hair, just because they think they're are too old. Most of my Aunts in are in their 50's and 60's and almost all of them have long hair, and it's beautiful! You are only as young as you feel, and sometimes I forget that I'm a grown-up!


Instead of turning my back on the fashions that I love, I know my style will continue to evolve into a more sophisticated version of what I have always been. My hem line in my 30's has dropped lower (along with other parts I care not to mention), and will likely continue in that general direction. A pencil skirt will take the place of the mini-skirt of my 20's, and I will eventually say no to jeggings, and add more trouser jeans to my closet, but I will never wear rollers in public.

                                                    Kelly Ripa in Trouser Jeans by Anlo Mara (Sold Out)
                                                                               - Age 41

Forever 21 Wide Leg Denim Trousers $27.80


A great example of this is my very own sister. She is at a turning point in her life, making a career change at the beginning of her 40's, from Teacher, to Public Relations and Communication. Although the two careers compliment each other through the use of words and information, the wardrobe required for each job is quite different. So it was with her future in mind that I took her shopping for the perfect power suit. 
It didn't take me more than a moment to realize the perfect place to find such a suit would be Le Chateau. This stunning red suit is from their new spring line and happens to be her favorite color. Paired with a patent nude shoe and matching top, she's ready to take on her new career with flair and confidence. These three pieces will be quite versatile in her current wardrobe as she can even wear the jacket with above mentioned trouser jeans! Or a crisp white blouse with the skirt alone would be a great look as well.

So from the top of the hill...take a deep breath of the fresh air of confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment