About Me

My photo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Fashion Stylist/Coach,Kingsway Mall Style Council Member, Mrs Canada 2006, Hairstylist and Makeup artist to the best clients, Mother of 2, and Wife to the #1 husband in the world!

Friday 15 April 2011

You Are Beautiful

Today I need to tell you about how I feel about you. While I do strongly feel that there is far too much judging of each other going on in our society, I also believe that we don't tell each other often enough about the positives. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. It's true. I love freckled noses, and peoples smiles that have character, I often envy girls who's curves know how to fill out their clothes. Today, it's pretty safe to say that everyone could easily list off a number of flaws they feel they have...and I bet it would take a lot longer for them to list the positives. It's sad, and wrong! You were created to shine!
Did you know that a recent study found that 53% of thirteen-year-old American girls are unhappy with their bodies. This number grows to 78% by the time girls reach seventeen. I cry when I think about this. I was that girl. In grade 4 I refused to wear short sleeves no matter how hot it got outside because someone had teased me about my arms being hairy. Now I realize, having strong hair genes has given me hair strong enough to withstand some grueling style experiments! (Visions of purple bangs in grade 10, unfortunately, no after pictures survived...you'd think the name "Plum" on the box would have tipped me off!) 
Beyond grade 4, and into my teen  years, I became painfully aware of my thinness. People often said "You're SO skinny!". It did not feel like a compliment. Why in this world have we decided that it's ok to judge each other so harshly? What happened to "Love one another"? Let me tell you, when I look at you, I don't think I see what you see. I see a beautiful smile, I enjoy your warm hugs, I love to make you laugh so I can see your eyes shine, and you mean so much more to me than you realize. I love fashion, yes it's true. But more than fashion...I love people.
If you have a little girl or boy in your life...give them a hug today and tell them how special they are. You have no idea the impact of your  words.
Dove's Self Esteem Movement

I LOVE  Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty  and I'm sure you've all seen this video that they put out, but it is a great reminder of what is real.
 
Evolution of a Model

In my Southgate Stylist search video, I made an ill-timed and inappropriate joke. I take this seriously. It pains me to think of causing anyone even a moment of insecurity.  I apologize sincerely and want you to know that I do not in any way promote dieting. Vote For Me HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment